Are you a School Student (or) group of Students (between 3 to 5) interested in Volunteering?
Are you passionate towards Food Waste Reduction?
Is your School located in one of these SF Bayarea cities: Santa Clara, San Jose, Sunnyvale, Cupertino or Gilroy
If you said yes to all of the above, then you might find volunteering opportunities with Outside2Inside….read below..
O2I Short-term School Volunteers are those who volunteer for O2I on a small project (~2-4 weeks to few months basis) that are mostly remote volunteering activities.
- The main responsibility of the Short-term School Volunteer is to spread awareness about food waste reduction, O2I and its events through their projects among their neighborhood and school.
- Share their experience of working on the projects or participating in O2I events in social media.
- Bring awareness through blog/social media posts, webinars, newsletters and articles in O2I Magazine.
- Share your experience of working on O2I food waste reduction projects or attending O2I events.
- Practice what you learnt from O2I projects/events in real-life situation and share it with us.
- In addition to the project related blogs/social media posts, you could write additional blogs/social media posts about what you learnt from the projects/events and O2I can post that on our website.
- If you are an artist, you can create food waste awareness through various forms of arts like painting, graphical images etc. and O2I can use that in our newsletters and O2I Magazine.
- If you have different innovative ideas of bringing food waste awareness, O2I will promote that idea.
- If you are interested, you could lead in promoting that idea by volunteering long-term with O2I.
Steps to follow for applying for O2I Short-term School Volunteer Position
Review the School Volunteering projects shown below and pick a project that suits your interest
If interested in any of the Projects, email details of your team, school, project duration etc. to O2I
Additionally each Volunteer needs to complete the O2I Volunteer Application and Questionnaire
O2I will review the Application submitted and will get back to you if selected for the role
Short-term School Volunteering Projects @ O2I
Please find a List of O2I School Volunteer projects in Food Waste Reduction. Pick a project that suits your interest from the following:
To create awareness about food waste reduction through Self awareness activities and food waste awareness activity at home/school/neighborhood
To reduce food waste through recovering wonky produce from nearby farms and creating awareness among community/school/neighborhood about wonky produce.
- Project Goal:
- Creating awareness and demonstrating about composting in urban households.
- Goal is accomplished by composting in a jar and measuring the impact of reducing food waste, ease of composting and creating awareness through reports, blogs and presentations/webinars.
- Project Team Members:
- This project can be completed by a group of 3-5 volunteers.
- The group should identify a Project Manager among themselves who works with O2I and the leads the team.
- O2I will provide guidance for this project as and when needed.
- All meetings between O2I and the group will be virtual/remote.
- Project Duration:
- The composting takes anywhere between 6-8 weeks to complete.
- Project duration will be 8 weeks from the date the composting was started and will include the project orientation and report writing.
- Project Activities:
- O2I gives a project orientation session with guidelines on how to do the project in the first week.
- Each volunteer in the group has to do the compost in the jar activity individually starting from the 2nd week.
- Capture pictures during the entire process on a weekly basis.
- Collect data from the activity like the volume of food waste reduced through composting, duration of the composting process, ease of composting …etc.
- Project Manager to update/meet with O2I on a weekly basis (every Sunday 5pm). Other members are also welcome to join the meeting if interested.
- At the end of the project, write a blog about your experience, create a 10-slide presentation to spread awareness about composting and generate a report.
- If possible, the presentation may be done as a webinar presented within your school or your neighborhood. It is volunteer’s responsibility to bring in the appropriate audience.
- Project Deliverables:
- A project report detailing the following
- Experience of doing the project (difficulty level)
- Volume of food waste used for composting (in lbs.)
- Type of foods composted and estimate of how long it takes to compost each type.
- Volume of compost generated at the end of the project (in lbs.)
- Weekly Pictures of the compost process taken.
- Other learnings.
- Blog post of the project experience which will be posted on the O2I website.
- Webinar presentation to create awareness about food waste reduction through the project experience and data collected.
- Volunteer Hours tracking of all members in the team with activities completed during those hours.
- A project report detailing the following
Email Details of your Team, School, Project duration, etc. to O2I
If you like the Mission and Vision of Outside2Inside, have passion in Food Waste Reduction and identified a Project listed above, then please approach O2I to apply for a Short term school volunteer opportunity. You can do so by emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information.
- Number of students interested in volunteering for O2I.
- Name of your school.
- School location.
- Project selection from the list above.
- Completed O2I Volunteer application and O2I Volunteer Questionnaire.
- Your availability for the project duration.
- Project start date, end date. Be considerate of the holidays.
- Volunteer credits requirements.
- Review the O2I volunteer credit template.
Volunteer Application and Questionnaire
Steps to do after being accepted as an O2I Short-term School Volunteer
Step 1: Complete the General Volunteer Agreement form right away.
Step 2: Sign up for any upcoming event from Event Signup Form (link provided below).
Step 3: Subscribe for the O2I Magazine by providing your email.
Step 4: Check out the O2I social media pages on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and our blogs. (links provided in this page)
Short-term School Volunteer Forms/Signups
Short-term School Volunteers Welcome to O2I
O2I Social Media Accounts, its Links and Blog Page
O2I Status Report, Time Tracking & Templates
On the day you are volunteering please remember to log your volunteer hours in the time tracking tools provided below. The volunteer time logged in by all O2I Volunteers is an important metric sought-out by the potential grantors while making grant decisions. Also, this is an important metric to get grant from Corporates as a part of their CSR programs.
O2I Blogs, Social Media Posts and Other Documents Submission Forms
In case, short-term volunteers are planning to write a blog (or) social media post (or) as a document/presentation, then they can use the following blog/social media posting guidelines.
Feedback & Testimonials
School Volunteer Credits Request Form
If you are a student volunteer requiring volunteer credit (or) volunteer verification letter, please use this form.Note: Please remember to log the Volunteer time with O2I and send the logged timesheet along with this form.